Want to know what the best natural lube alternatives are? When it comes to finding the best natural personal lubricant, things can get pretty personal. The thing is, how wet we get down there changes with our body’s natural cycle. So for those totally normal drier days, it’s totally natural to reach for lube. Better still, choosing a natural lube made from plant-based ingredients is safer and healthier for your vagina than other personal lubricants that contain questionable ingredients.
Conventional Lube vs. Natural Lube Alternatives
Personal lubricants can work wonders by increasing sexual pleasure, reducing friction and heightening arousal. However, on closer inspection many run-of-the-mill personal lubricants contain a long list of questionable ingredients that you really shouldn’t use anywhere near the most intimate parts of your body.
With a growing health-conscious trend that sees more of us eating organic, using cruelty-free make-up and opting for all-natural personal-care products, it makes sense that more women have become curious about what a natural or “organic” lube can do for their sex life and health. For those opting for a natural lube alternative that is safe and less irritating than conventional lube, you’ll want to know exactly what to look out for.
Here are a few things to consider.
Which Chemicals and Additives to Avoid in Personal Lubricants
Some of the chemical ingredients used in conventional lube can be harmful and cause skin irritation. It’s up to you to always read the ingredients on the labels to make sure you’re not putting the most fragile and intimate part of your body in harm’s way.
Propylene glycol is a common petrochemical that is frequently used in anything from anti-freeze, prepared foods, cosmetics and personal lubricant. Now it must be said that they wouldn’t be using this stuff in such a broad range of products if it wasn’t deemed “safe” but for some people it can cause skin irritations. Those with a sensitivity towards propylene glycol may experience redness of the skin as well as dermatitis. Petroleum jelly is another culprit that can cause a nasty reaction to your most sensitive parts. A research study conducted by the University of California found that women who used petroleum jelly intravaginally, doubled their risk of getting bacterial vaginosis. Suddenly the idea of using a natural lube substitute sound pretty appealing- especially from a health perspective!
Parabans are typically used as a synthetic preservative in skin care, pharmaceutical products and prepared foods. The most common are methyl- and propylparaben. These chemicals are known to trigger allergic reactions and irritation of the skin. The Environmental Working Group [has documented the link between parabens and hormone disruption with the potential for an increased risk of breast cancer in the Human Toxome Project. It is believed that parabens mimics estrogen in the body which raises the concern that they may contribute to estrogen-stimulated breast cancers.
While you may have a sweet tooth, you will want to stay clear from personal lubricants that have a high sugar content. And for good reason! Sugar of any form in lube can increase your risk of getting vaginal yeast infection. Yeast thrives off sugar. Add to that the natural moist environment of the vagina and you have all the ingredients for a perfect storm of pain and discomfort. In this case, the sugar-charged lube will feed the yeast, causing them to multiply with ease in a moist environment to create a nasty vaginal yeast infection.
Look out for glycerine, a commonly used sugar derivative used in conventional lube, as it has the same potential to disrupt your body’s healthy bacteria and can leave you prone to yeast infections.
Why You Might Be a Better Candidate for Natural Lube
While your search to find the best natural lube may be driven out of curiosity at first, you will be interested to find out that you might simply be a better candidate for natural lube in general.
If you’re prone to yeast infections, for example, it’s best to opt for a natural lube alternative. Similarly if you’ve had breast cancer that’s estrogen sensitive, stay away from personal lubricants containing parabens as they are known to be potential hormone disrupters.
Below is a list of the 6 best natural lube alternatives for women
- Cannabis-infused Lube
Cannabis-infused lube is fast becoming known as the best natural lubricant for sex. Hailed for its therapeutic properties which stimulates the vagina’s natural lubrication, heightens sexual pleasure and reduces pain and discomfort during intercourse, it has become the must-have natural lubricant of health-conscious women across the world.
Described as “foreplay in a bottle”, Enigma Sensation is one of the best (if not the best) cannabis-infused natural lube alternatives available to South African women. This oil-based natural lube contains both THC and CBD which are powerful cannabinoids that occur naturally in the cannabis plant. These active compounds are known to enhance sexual pleasure and ease vaginal pain. Many women who use cannabis-infused lube describe their first time trying the product as the best, most intense orgasm they’ve ever experienced and there is actual data backing up the increase in sensation when compared to conventional lube.
Enigma Sensation is designed to enhance your sexual experience as women. It is specially formulated with the female form in mind, this means that you can be assured that only the highest quality natural ingredients are used to create a premium intimate product that is both safe to use and allergen-free. Enigma Sensation cannabis-infused lube gives you all the therapeutic benefits of cannabis without any psychoactive effects.
- Stimulates the vagina’s natural lubrication
- Significantly enhances sexual arousal and heightens sexual pleasure
- Relieves tension and increases tactile sensation
- Intensifies and prolongs orgasms
- Reduces pain and discomfort during and after intercourse
- Anti-fungal and antibacterial properties soothes inflammation
- As with any oil-based personal lubricant, it should not be used with latex condoms.
2. Coconut Oil
Virgin coconut oil has grown in popularity as a natural lubricant. For women who want to go au naturelle in the bedroom, coconut oil is a firm favourite. It helps combat dryness and also lasts longer than other non-natural lubricants.
- Relatively thick in texture which makes sex feel amazing and absorbs well into the skin. It soon becomes light-weight to the touch, warming as it comes into contact with body heat.
- It boasts both antifungal and antibacterial properties, making it an excellent natural lube alternative for women who are prone to yeast infections.
- As this study suggests, coconut oil can actually prevent and treat yeast infections. Research reveals that it an effective treatment for certain resistant strains of fungal infections.
- Coconut oil can cause the latex condoms to break and degrade, which opens you up to the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies.
- It is still unclear whether coconut oil can disrupt sperm quality and quantity. This is particularly important to keep in mind if you are trying to conceive.
- Avoid using coconut oil with latex sex toys as they tend to be difficult to clean.
- Leaves behind a slightly oily residue.
3. Pure Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a great natural lube alternative. Crammed full of nutritional value, it contains a clear odourless gel that is gentle on the skin.
- Does not cause any irritation when applied to sensitive areas of the body.
- Safe to use with condoms as it does not weaken the latex.
- Aloe Vera is known for its soothing properties which make it excellent for reducing inflammation.
- Won’t increase the risk of yeast infections.
- When choosing Aloe Vera as a natural lube, be sure to select a product that is as close to its natural form as possible. 100% pure Aloe Vera gel is your best bet. It should not contain any artificial ingredients. Always read the label and list of ingredients before purchasing any natural personal lubricants even if they claim to be 100% natural- on closer inspection, you’ll find that this in not always the case.
- Although uncommon, some people may have a natural sensitivity towards Aloe Vera. If you are sensitive to Aloe Vera, try applying a small patch on your skin first before using it on your intimate areas.
4. Natural Oils: Sweet Almond Oil , Olive Oil & Avocado Oil
Natural oils such as sweet almond oil, avocado oil and olive oil can also be used as a natural lube alternative. They each have their own unique characteristics and health benefits.
While you might think that choosing a natural oil is the best choice- not oils are created equal. Much in the same way that ingesting cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil is better for your health than processed vegetable oil; certain natural oils fare far better in the bedroom than others.
- Rich in anti-oxidants, sweet almond oil is a good natural lube alternative and can help sooth irritated skin.
- Sweet almond oil feels amazing on the skin, has a pleasant aroma and is safe to eat, making it a wonderful natural lube to use for oral sex and foreplay.
- Sweet almond oil has wonderful moisturizing properties and does not leave behind an annoying residue.
- Olive oil is packed with unsaturated fatty acids that can help repair vaginal tissues and enhance hydration.
- Olive oil is not just good for your heart health, it is safe to use on your most sensitive areas and will not disrupt the good bacteria naturally found in the vagina.
- Avocado oil is rich in potassium and silky smooth to the touch.
- Safe to use and 100% edible, cold-pressed avocado oil is odourless and tasteless which makes it a great healthy lube alternative to using during foreplay and oral sex.
- As with any oil-based lube they may interfere with condoms and degrade the integrity of latex condoms and toys. If you are using olive oil as a personal lubricant with a latex condom, this may cause the condom to break which could mean an increased risk of contracting STI’s and lead to unwanted pregnancy.
Olive oil leaves a behind a sticky residue which can stain your sheets and make cleaning your sex toys a bit of a struggle.
5. Mineral Oil – Vitamin E
Vitamin E is a potent skin hydrator and can be applied to the vagina to combat extreme dryness and irritation. The hype surrounding using Vitamin E oil as a natural lube alternative is gaining traction, with the likes of Khloe Kardahian waxing lyrical about the benefits of putting Vitamin E on her vagina.
- Vitamin E is known to aid in tissue repair and combats free radicals which may lead to inflammation, infection and disease.
- It has been shown that Vitamin E smoothes and lubricates the vaginal lining, however it is still unclear if this equates to strengthening your vaginal lining.
- To prevent dryness and soothe irritation, you can use Vitamin E oil to moisturise your vagina and labia.
- When selecting a personal lubricant that has Vitamin E as its main ingredient, be sure to choose one without any artificial ingredients and other synthetic additives.
- Be aware that some mineral oils including commercially available variants of Vitamin E oil are not specifically designed as personal lubricants. Always read the label before buying, as the problem with some mineral oils is that they have the potential to cause genital tissues to dry out- and that’s exactly what you’re trying to prevent!
- As with any oil-based lubricant, they are unsuitable for use with condoms and will degrade latex. One research study in particular found that when latex condoms were exposed to mineral oil, the strength of the condom decreased by an alarming 90% after less than a minute of contact.
Ready to try out natural oils as a healthy lube alternative?
Wait just a second….
While they can be a good personal lubricant alternative, natural oils such as olive, sweet almond, Vitamin E and coconut can build up inside your labial folds. If left there for a prolonged period, they have the propensity to turn rancid. This can cause unpleasant odours, unusual discharge and even vaginal and urinary tract infections. This is not to say that they are unsafe for intimate use. Rather, you need to ensure that you maintain proper hygiene to ensure the optimal health of your vagina.
6. All-Natural Water-Based Lubricants
There are a number of water-based lubricants made with all-natural products that are available on the market. As women become more conscious about the type of lube that they use on the most sensitive and vulnerable parts of their bodies, a growing number of natural water-based lubes are being specially formulated to meet demand. Before you decide to buy an all-natural water-based lubricant, be sure to consider the following:
- Natural lubricants which have a water-based formula are safe to use with latex condoms.
- The best natural lubes in this category will be pH balanced which means that the sensitive vaginal environment will not be disrupted.
- Widely available for purchase.
- Can easily be washed off with soap and water.
- Water-based lubes tend to evaporate faster than oil-based and silicone-based lubes.
- Frequent reapplication is required.
- Be wary of “all-natural” labels. While some products may claim to be all-natural, the reality is far removed. Always check the list of ingredients to ensure the natural lube you choose is free of glycerine and harmful chemicals such as parabens and petrochemicals.
Other Natural Products worth a Mention
While cannabis-infused lube such as Enigma Sensation may be the best natural lube alternative currently available, there are a few other natural products that are worth a mention.
- Sea Buckthorn Oil: Found in most health stores, this natural oil is consumed orally and has been found to assist the mucosal integrity within the vagina. It is this beneficial characteristic that reduces vaginal dryness and irritation.
- Kiwi Fruit Vine Extract: A natural by-product of the New Zealand kiwi fruit harvest, this plant extract when used in a water-based lube formula is known to alleviate vaginal dryness. Kiwi fruit vine extract is pH balanced which makes it a neutral medium of lubrication that will not disrupt the sensitive microbiome of the vagina. As it is water-based, it safe for use with latex condoms.
- Essential Oils: Essential oils such as tee tree oil and chamomile are known to alleviate vaginal dryness, unusual discharge and itching. A few drops goes a long way! Essential oils should only be used with a carrier oil such as grape seed oil or with Aloe Vera gel and should never be applied directly to the vagina. Simply add a drop or two to your preferred natural lube and apply the mixture to your vagina. As a precautionary measure, test out the essential oil by applying it first to the skin on your inner arm to ensure it doesn’t cause you to have a skin irritation or allergic reaction.
Why You Should Go Natural with Enigma Sensation
Most women will encounter periods of vaginal dryness at some point throughout their life. In fact, dryness in your most intimate area is quite common and the vagina’s natural lubrication decreases with age. There are a number of factors that influence the health and well-being of your vagina, including hormonal fluctuations, stress, certain medications and even diet. Today, increasingly more women are taking their feminine wellness and pleasure more seriously by choosing products that promote and assist the wellbeing of their vagina and ultimately their sex life. Using personal lubricants is fast becoming the norm and an accepted part of a healthy sex life.
If you’re a health-conscious, sexually empowered woman, there are a variety of natural lube alternatives that can help you stay lubricated, promote vaginal health and even reduce pain and inflammation. However, many conventional personal lubricants on the market today are filled with unpronounceable ingredients that can put the health of the most intimate and sensitive part of your body at risk. Natural lube alternatives don’t contain the potentially harmful chemicals and synthetic additives that are commonly found in conventional lube.
The Best Natural Lube For Sex
The best natural lube alternative by far is Enigma Sensation cannabis-infused lube. Enigma Sensation is the perfect blend of all-natural ingredients that have been specially formulated by women for women. Its signature blend consists of premium-grade, hypoallergenic Grape Seed Oil that has been infused with CBD and THC extract that is sourced from high quality, organically grown cannabis.
Enigma Sensation is hypoallergenic and independently lab-tested to ensure absolute purity from parabens, petrochemicals, toxins, microbes and pesticides.
Can you see yourself benefiting from the following?
- Promoting your vagina’s natural lubrication
- Heightened sensitivity reverberating throughout your intimate and erogenous zones
- Increased arousal and enhanced sexual pleasure
- Orgasms that are more intense, powerful and longer-lasting
- Experiencing a warm, tingling sensation on your clitoris, leading to climactic satisfaction
- Offers a gentle, soothing solution of you experience pain, dryness and discomfort during sex
- Find use in the antibacterial and antifungal properties which can ease inflammation
If you’ve ticked any of the boxes above, Enigma Sensation is hands down the best natural lube for you! Enigma Sensation with its natural healing combination of THC and CBD, will literally transform the way you experience sexual pleasure!
Sweet almond oil image source/ link attribution: https://www.naturallivingideas.com/sweet-almond-oil-benefits/